Dear SirMadam,I have been unfortunate to...

Asked by Sazi Sibiya on 04-11-2023 23:05:36
Question posted in the Criminal Law category relating to Gauteng

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have been unfortunate to receive a speeding fine, wherein there was no actual fine stipulated, but a “court” result, meaning I will have to appear in court but no summons to court has been issued as yet.

For context, this is for supposedly travelling at 117km/hr in a 60km/hr zone (Beyers Naude road in Randburg Johannesburg), and this was from a fixed camera.

To my suprise as I had doubt I could have been travelling at such speed, I contacted my car track company to obtain a speeding report for that day. I found from the report that I was only travelling at speeds ranging from 50km/hr to 61km/hr during that time, and even minutes before and after than, i was nowhere at the speed stipulated.

With this in mind, I would like to get advice on how to manoeuvre this situation. Having approached the traffic department, I was advised to wait for the court summons, and was also referred to the “representation” form.

I would like to deal with the matter in the best way as I know there are criminal records associated with this. Also some advise if I would need to get a lawyer to assist with this.


If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.