Hi,I am currently trying to deal with th...

Asked by Gert on 19-06-2024 15:43:09
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Gauteng


I am currently trying to deal with the situation below, and I am not sure what to do next (i.e. open a case with the police, go see a lawyaer, contact MIOSA). Kindly assist...

A mechanic, working for himself from home, agreed to restore a classic Austin Mini I own. The initial agreement was that we would sell the car together upon completion. I would provide the car and pay for all required parts, he would do the labour.

Despite paying R29450-00 in 2x payments over a period of 11 months, the mechanic failed to deliver, providing excuses and false progress updates. I eventually retrieved the car, which was stripped and now cannot start as not all the parts have been returned. I obtained a report from another mechanic exposing the incomplete work (There was no new/repaired parts).

I asked him to provide a detailed labour bill and proof of parts thast had been purchased. This was 3 weeks ago, and to date he has not provided anything.  

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.