Our 2 dogs were run over by a vehicle. W...

Asked by JannieR on 07-10-2015 14:09:49
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Western Cape
Question value: R 0.00

Our 2 dogs were run over by a vehicle. We live in a "Small holding" farm area with gravel roads. We opened our gate for a visitor and our two dogs went into the road. We saw a bakkie come speeding down the road far over the 60Km/H limit. We waved our arms at him to slow down but he just tooted and without braking drove over both dogs. He did not stop and raced away. We did get the registration number as the bumber of the vehicle came off. The next day we found out that he logged an accident report at the police station were he said that he drove over a water pipe. We also found out that the bakkie belongs to a security company and that the driver was on duty when the accident happened. The one dog died the same night and the other is hospitalised with serious injuries that will cost thousands. The owner of the company said that he will cover the medical bills but now does not answer he's phone or emails. Is there anything we can do legally to claim the money we spent and will spend on medical bills from them?

Ask your OWN Legal Question!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.