My father in law took out a large loan a...

Asked by hahhah on 04-02-2016 16:50:00
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Gauteng
Question value: R 200.00

My father in law took out a large loan and due to retrenchment and psychological issues has been unable to repay back the loan. He did not disclose this debt to his family and today several of their house belonging were attached to repay the debt.

He however has not paid or contributed to the household possessions that were attached. They even attached my wife's car even though it is in her name and she makes monthly payments towards the car from her own account. My wife explained this to the men who came through but they would not listen and attached the car even though it does not belong to the man that owes the debt.

Is it legal that the debt from one man can be passed to his family even though he has not contributed to the upkeep of the house for several years since his unemployment/retrenchment?

Can the man who owes the debt be brought to justice rather than punishing the family?

Your urgent assistance will be appreciated.

Ask your OWN Legal Question!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.