Hi there. I'm South African, married to ...

Asked by Goldie on 11-08-2016 11:01:35
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Western Cape
Question value: R 300.00

Hi there. I'm South African, married to a British Citizen and we are currently living in the Middle East (my husband works on a British contract and paid in £ - his pension would therefore be paid into his British bank account once he retires. We will be living in South Africa once he retires as we have a property in the Western Cape (property in both our names - married in community of property), where we go regularly each year on holiday. My husband had a will/testament drawn up many years ago while previously married (the ex wife now lives in the USA), but he doesn't have a copy of the will and also can't even remember who drew up the document at that time.
My question to you is:- Can my husband have a new will drawn up by someone in South Africa? (I was told that he can't as his salary is paid into his British bank account and his pension will also be paid that way) - Surely, if he has no commitments in the UK and will never live there again, it can be done back in Cape Town?
Your feedback and assistance would be highly appreciated.

Ask your OWN Legal Question!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.