Good day, My husband entered into a leas...

Asked by Juliem on 11-05-2018 11:11:19
Question posted in the General Law category relating to KwaZulu-Natal
Question value: R 0.00

Good day, 

My husband entered into a lease agreement for a business premises. We could no longer afford the rent and gave the landlord 20 business days notice as per the Consumer protection act. It was a 3 year lease and this happened after a year. There was no cancellation clause in the lease. We left all our equipment in the premises as were trying to sell the business which was unsuccessful. 

We have been told that the equipment has since been sold. 

A judgement has been granted against my husband and a warrant of execution was issued against our property for R291000 which we have since sold due to financial difficulty. 

The attorney working on behalf of the landlord emailed this warrant to the purchaser of the property and asked for banking details for my husband? I believe that this in contravention with the POPI Act and attorney code of conduct. 

Please advise on how we can go about resolving the above mentioned matter.

Thank you


Ask your OWN Legal Question!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.