Dear SirsI am an Australian citizen and ...

Asked by natashavo on 29-05-2018 06:22:49
Question posted in the General Law category relating to KwaZulu-Natal
Question value: R 100.00

Dear Sirs

I am an Australian citizen and have just returned from a holiday in South Africa.  we rented a cottage in Ramsgate.  Upon our return I was contacted by the person who I rented it from (I am unsure if this was the letting agent or the owner) asking me to provide her with the details of a South African bank account so that she could return our R750 deposit.  I informed her that we do not have a South African bank account and are not allowed to have one as we have completed our financial emigration from South Africa.  Her response was that I should provide her with the bank details of a relative in South Africa so that she could deposit the money into their bank account instead.  I provided her with my Australian bank details and informed her that I did not wish to make a donation to anyone in South Africa at that time and that I would appreciate it if she could please deposit the funds into my bank account so that I would not have to take further action.  Her response was that it would be too expensive for her to do so.  The fact that we too had to pay international fees when doing the international transfer to her account did not interest her at all.

The above is a very short summary of the correspondence between this person and myself.  I would be happy to provide the full correspondence upon request.  I therefore wish to send a letter of demand to her for the deposit to be refunded.  The terms and conditions did not state anywhere that the deposit would only be refunded if the transfer fees were acceptable to her.

As I am in Australia, I would appreciate it if you could please let me know who I could contact with regards to sending a letter of demand to this person. I appreciate that we might not be awake at the same time and I am about to go into a meeting although it is still very early in the morning in South Africa.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully

Natasha van Oudheusden

Ask your OWN Legal Question!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.