My brother and I bought a flat in Vredeh...

Asked by JaneH on 23-07-2018 13:00:18
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to Western Cape
Question value: R 200.00

My brother and I bought a flat in Vredehoek together about 11 years ago. When I got married, my husband and I paid my brother out for his share of the flat. However we didn't go through the process of changing the title deed to remove my brother's name. I would like to know how to go about doing this, and what transfer duty is payable if any



Further information relating to Question:

Is there a standard contract for this sort of thing? Would SA legal advice be able to assist us in completing the process?

Ask your OWN Legal Question!

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 20-08-2018 12:32:35

Hi there and thank you for your question,

It sounds like you and your husband entered into an oral agreement of sale in terms whereof you purchased your brother's half share in your flat for an agreed upon price. The immediate problem is that ALL agreements pertaining to sales of land MUST be in writing. If an agreement is not in writing, it is VOID. That is a massive problem for you.

But ... don't worry just yet ... it can be fixed - hopefully because your brother will realise the problem and will come to your assistance!  Hopefully your brother won't argue that the sale was void, and hopefully he'll just sign the documents!

The value of the transfer duty will depend on the value of the flat.

While we can't assist you directly in drawing up the formal sale agreement, we can put you in touch with a conveyancing attorney in Cape Town who could assist you!  You'll need to sign a formal sale agreement and have the transfer registered at the Deed's Office in Cape Town.  This is done by a conveyancing attorney!

If there is a part of the answer which you need more advice on, or clarity please continue in this same thread instead of opening a new question.

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. I hope you found my answer helpful, and you have finished asking your questions, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button in order to mark the question as closed.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.