If a child is born in South Africa to a ...

Asked by Anonymous on 25-07-2018 18:47:29
Question posted in the Family Law category relating to Western Cape
Question value: R 0.00

If a child is born in South Africa to a South African mother of whom the father is not South African, has not met the child and pays no maintenance, his name does not appear on the birth certificate and the child has the mothers surname. What rights does the father have and can he apply to have his name placed on the birth certificate if he is not in the country? The parents are not a couple and have no intention of being so in the future. The mother fears that the father may be dangerous and may attempt to abduct the child of his name was to appear on any legal papers, what rights does the mother have to protect her child in that case? 

Ask your OWN Legal Question!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.