Good day,Kindly assist with the followin...

Asked by Janine on 07-08-2018 18:11:42
Question posted in the Landlord Tenant Law category relating to Eastern Cape
Question value: R 0.00

Good day,

Kindly assist with the following query.

I rent a cottage on the same property as another house, the main house, and we share a cash power box. My contract states that I have to include a receipt for R 500 electricity with every rental payment, which I have done since I moved in. Today I contacted the estate agents in charge of my contract to inform the landlord that the box is running low and to please add more electricity. I was told to make a plan as the tenants for the main house will only be back in October.

Now I have already added my monthly electricity, used up by the main house tenants who were here this weekend, and as a single mother I do not have the additional funds to add more. I will of course make a plan not to sit in the dark over a very cold front, however what are my rights to avoid this dilemma in future? Surely the landlord is in breach of contract? Would it be in order to deduct whatever I have to add from my next rental payment?

Thank you in advance,

Janine v/d Walt

Ask your OWN Legal Question!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.