HelloI am about to begin settlement disc...

Asked by Confused on 13-08-2018 13:43:55
Question posted in the Divorce Law category relating to Western Cape


I am about to begin settlement discussions with my husband. We are both SA citizens married outside Cape Town under ANC with accrual. We started a business together in the USA with 5 other partners. It is a wildlife/expedition company and my husband and I are guides. My husband has said that he does not want to work with me on the trips anymore which means I cannot get the required 150 days of work to remain an active partner so I am being forced to sell my shares and give up my partnership. My husband owns 25% and I own 8.5%. The money used to pay for all these shares came from my husband's excluded portfolio from before we were married. I have been told that because there was no agreement to pay him back for the initial cost of the shares they have become a donation to me and therefore are mine. BUT the question remains: does he have a claim against my half of the share pay-out (which will only be paid in Jan 2020 when my partnership ends) and do I have a claim to half of his share value even though the money used to buy the shares came from his excluded asset? I have been told different things by different lawyers. I am very confused about what is what.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.