I bought a vehicle earlier this year and...

Asked by CJ on 29-06-2020 13:01:50
Question posted in the Consumer Protection Law category relating to Gauteng

I bought a vehicle earlier this year and have had to return it 7 times to the dealer to be repaired. During the last breakdown we noticed patch work under the fender which shows the vehicle was in an accident. The accident was not declared to me by the dealer and they even acted surprised by it. When I bought the vehicle the dealer was trading under a company which has since been liquidated. The dealer is still assisting me under his new company. The dealer is now attempting to find me a new vehicle but this is taking very long. Can I instruct the dealer to settle my finance on the current vehicle and refund my instalments?

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 04-07-2020 21:41:32

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

Did you specifically ask if the car had been in an accident before? If you didn't ask the question, the dealer is not legally required to explain that to you. 

Can I instruct the dealer to settle my finance on the current vehicle and refund my instalments? --> Nope. There is no legal obligation on him to do so, because the company that you bought your car from has been liquidated. 

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.