I bought a car from somebody that sells ...

Asked by CharlR on 05-09-2018 10:36:06
Question posted in the Consumer Protection Law category relating to Eastern Cape
Question value: R 300.00

I bought a car from somebody that sells cars from his home, he is Justin. I was told the torque converter is faulty and was diagnosed by a subaru mechanic and would be R4800 to repair.  I am 600km from Justin. A friend went to view the car, the battery was flat so the car couldnt start, i was told all is good working order on the car exept the torque converter. Justin refered me to a spesial gearbox mechanic. i had to pay Justin R10 000 so the car could go to the mechanic, which i did. the price for repairs shot up to R15900, I had to pay that. Justin bought an old car from me for R16000. ( it is worth R25000) i gave him another R4000, so jusin was paid in full and mechanic. I picked the car up and 10km later the gearbox gave problems, i phoned the mechanic, he come out to me, the gearbox had no problem then and the mechanic told me the gearbos and sensors still need to move oil ect over the whole box inside, 300km futher there was  no gears, i was stuck in a small town.

I read the consumer act and asked my money and car back from justin and the mechanic. they both refused.

Ask your OWN Legal Question!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.