Good day, I'm divorced for 10 years. Div...

Asked by Gen on 17-01-2019 09:54:32
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to Western Cape
Question value: R 100.00

Good day, I'm divorced for 10 years. Divorce agreement is as follows: I'm awarded the house, continue with bond payments and 2019 I have to pay my ex husband an amout set on the divorce papers for full ownership of the property.

1. I know I have to do the substitution of debtors and that they will do affordability check. Do I however have to restart a NEW homeloan or do I just continue paying the existing homeloan? My concern is that I only have 2 years left on the current homeloan and I have no intention of repaying the same house TWICE.

2. what would be my best option? How do it affect the situation should i settle the homeloan in full and then transfer the house onto my name.

Ask your OWN Legal Question!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.