Hi I live in the Bluff neighbourhood, wh...

Asked by Jackie on 03-06-2019 13:58:15
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Eastern Cape
Question value: R 150.00


I live in the Bluff neighbourhood, which is in Durban, KZN. My new next door neighbours (they are tentants who rent from the owner, owner does'nt live in the house), have just suddenly and without warning opened a home school in the house - there are 15 children ranging from grade 1 to grade 7. Please will you let me know the following:

What licenses / permits are required by law to operate the home school?What recourse do I have if they don't have the required licenses / permits in place?

This was a quiet street, we now have to put up with congestion in the mornings, people blocking our driveway, and noise that did'nt exist before. I would appreciate some legal advice, as I am not up to date with the relevant laws and bylaws.


JF Goodwin 

Further information relating to Question:

Apologies I live in Kwazulu Natal and NOT Eastern Cape - please amend accordingly

Ask your OWN Legal Question!

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 03-06-2019 14:35:14

Hi there and thank you for your question,

First, the property will need to be zoned for either educational / business and not just residential. This is a requirement from the City / municipality. You can check with the municipal offices (you'll need the street address) whether the property is zoned for business use. It is quite hard to get business zoning in a residential area, because the municipality will need to ensure that the property is fit for business use, and there is sufficient parking, etc and that it will not disturb the neighbourhood.

If the neighbours were running a creche, or a play school, that's one thing- but they are running a primary school from their house. Since they are offering the foundations and intermediate phases of education, they need to have their "home school" registered with the Department of Education.


I would suggest that you contact the Deptartment and tell them about this school, and say that you are a neighbour and you are concerned about the school, and that you want to speak to somebody about whether the school is legally allowed to operate. Perhaps they can do an inspection, or give you information over the telephone.

If they are not registered, the Department will close them down.

Even if they are registered, and even if they have a business licence, you could still object to them operating the school. There should have been a public participation process whereby they ask neighbours for objections.

What you can do, at a last resort, is to apply to the High Court to interdict them from continuing to run the school from the premises. Your argument would be that there is congestion in the mornings, people blocking our driveway, and noise that didn't exist before!

The above is basically your answer- business licence and registered with the Department of Education.

If they don't have a business licence, then the municipality should get involved and shut them down!

I am a practicing attorney based in South Africa and I will assist you with your question. Please feel free to ask as many follow up questions in order to clarify your question. If you have a new question, you must please open a new thread.

If there is a part of the answer which you need more advice on, or clarity please continue in this same thread instead of opening a new question.

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. I hope you found my answer helpful, and you have finished asking your questions, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button in order to mark the question as closed.

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 03-06-2019 14:51:57

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.