Hi, we are an elderly couple, who have b...

Asked by Barbara on 24-07-2021 19:55:30
Question posted in the General Law category relating to North West

Hi, we are an elderly couple, who have both health issues. Our rent is overdue by 3 months, we were given a WhatsApp notification that we need to leave the house which is being rented by Harcourt. We Dont have jobs and no family to go to. Do we have to leave, there has been no notice given in writing accept the request in WhatsApp. We Dont have a contract. What can we do

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 27-07-2021 23:39:16

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

You do have a contract, it is either a verbal contract or it is a partly verbal/partly written contract, or is it a verbal extension of your original written lease agreement. But there must be an agreement in place.

The landlord would need to give you written notice that you've breached the contract, and he would need to give you 20 days to rectify the breach, BEFORE he can cancel the contract.

If he didn't do that, then the purported cancellation is invalid and he can't evict you.

Also, any eviction would need to be done through the court system with a Court Order. Otherwise, it is illegal.

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.