Hi, We are three siblings that own a rur...

Asked by Annelize on 16-01-2020 10:50:59
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to Gauteng
Question value: R 0.00


We are three siblings that own a rural property together. One of us are thinking about getting a divorce. He is married in community of property which means his wife is entitled to 50% of his portion of the land. What are our options in this case. 

1. Can we subdivide the property and register a portion in her name and what would the costs be.

2. Could we loose the property if we are unable to pay her out?

Ask your OWN Legal Question!

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 17-01-2020 21:16:44

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

Technically, his wife will be entitled to 50% of their joint estate. So, that means that he could decide to keep the farm and his car and some cash, and she could keep their marital house, her car, the furniture, and some other cash.

As long as everything that he walks away with is 50% of the joint estate, and the same for her, it doesn't matter if he keeps this or she keeps that. 

Obviously there will need to be an agreement reached. 

Often, parties will say: you keep the house, and I will keep the investments and the cash. 

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.