Good day,I need advice on a labour matte...

Asked by Elize on 30-01-2020 10:03:35
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Gauteng
Question value: R 0.00

Good day,

I need advice on a labour matter. 

I worked as an au pair for about 8 months last year starting in April and ending in November. Payment was almost always a problem and was often late. When time came to pay me in month October she didn't because of her "financial circumstances". At the end of October I gave her verbal notice of my resignation which she accepted. After my notice period had finished I also didn't receive November's payment.

Since then I have been in constant contact with her to hear if there are any updates. She always reads my messages but takes 2 days to reply as if she is avoiding me. 

In the meanwhile I requested and received a certificate of service from her. However this states that I was employed by another company owned by her boyfriend and she claims I was paid out of their account but she justifies not paying me because her boss is not paying her in her personal capacity. 

Question: If I was really employed by the company and not directly by her does it even matter that she is not being paid?  Should I make a case at the CCMA and would it be successful? If so, against who should I make a case, her or the alleged company?

Thank you

Elize de Jongh

Ask your OWN Legal Question!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.