Good dayI live in a townhouse that I ren...

Asked by Andrea on 20-02-2020 14:28:22
Question posted in the Landlord Tenant Law category relating to Western Cape

Good day

I live in a townhouse that I rent from my landlord. The property of the landlord consists of two homes (one upstairs which I occupy and one downstairs) and the property is walled with an electric gate. When we entered into the lease agreement, the landlord was aware and in agreement that I run my consultancy business from home with my business partner who lives with me on the property.

My reason for reaching out is because the landlord comes and knock on our door at least 4 times a week at random times. I feel this is an invasion of my privacy rights as a tenant and it also disrupts my business, because he has no consideration for the fact that I am sometimes busy with telephonic consultations with clients when he arrives here and demands I listen to him.

It also disrupts and distresses my two Yorkies every time he comes here, because he recently kicked on of my doggies (very hard, the doggie yelped and was in pain), because the doggy was barking at him.I just want to know if I have any rights here and if there are any steps that can be taken to address this issue because it is starting to feel like harassment.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 21-02-2020 10:16:37

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

It sounds as if your landlord's conduct could amount to harassment. You should speak to a lawyer about what you can do, because you can do something. 

Or, you could ask me for further advice.

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.