can I ask for some advice on leaving uns...

Asked by Mark on 28-02-2020 13:29:26
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Mpumalanga
Question value: R 0.00

can I ask for some advice on leaving unsecured debt in south africa (with fnb) after moving to australia?  its been handed to debt collectors who will then take it for judgement.  It was 5 years ago and was R15,000 at the time, probably a lot more now.  Will they write it off? or will they appoint a collector in australia? I hate that I have left debt behind but am not in a position to deal with it in any event.

Ask your OWN Legal Question!

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 01-03-2020 16:18:44

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

They might write it off if they know that you are no longer in SA, however I can't give you any certainty about that. 

They can only appoint somebody in Aus to collect the debt if they get a judgment here in SA first. But that is going to cost them a lot!

My advice, write to FNB and tell them that you have emigrated and no longer living in SA, and that they must write off the debt. Maybe, if you can, offer to pay R5000 in full and final settlement.

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.