Good dayMy landlord is my mother and ste...

Asked by LADEDH on 28-02-2020 16:02:11
Question posted in the Landlord Tenant Law category relating to Western Cape
Question value: R 0.00

Good day

My landlord is my mother and step father

Me and my wife have been living in this house for about eight years

The landlord recently decided we need to go. The same day she told us to leave she wanted us to go.

My bothers always told me that when my parents got divorced the judge told our father he has no claim to the house. The house belongs to my mother and her three children. My mother has/had the document regarding this judgment. I never saw it.

All these years any letter regarding the house was always under my father’s name.

Last year I went to my mother and her husband and asked them if I could buy the house from then, they told me they would have to think about it and never came back to me.

However a few months after that "City of Cape Town" people started coming by the house looking for my mother and her husband.T

hey put the house on my step father’s name.

And out of the blue started treating me, my wife and children as if we came from a different planet and we a burden to them and everything we do is wrong.

Obviously that’s the sort version

What I would like to know is. If this document exists how can I get a copy of it? My mother will surely not show me. And if so is she allowed to put the house on his name?

I mean my mother and father was married for 16 years and if a judge told him he has no claim to the house how can the house now belong to a step father?

Ask your OWN Legal Question!

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 01-03-2020 16:16:44

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

You really do need to see a copy of the Divorce Order and judgment. If you know which court they were divorced in, and the case number, or the date of the divorce, you could visit the court and ask to see the court file!

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.