Good day,I trust that you're well.I need...

Asked by MelDla on 06-03-2020 13:55:22
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Gauteng
Question value: R 100.00

Good day,

I trust that you're well.

I need advice regarding my rights and the steps to follow.

In 2017 November I rented out my car to someone, our agreement was only for a month initially but they kept on extending. They then moved to Lesotho in January 2018 and I was not happy with it because they didn't inform me before they moved, however since they were making their payment I overlooked it and around July they ended up having an accident with my car, the agreement was that they will fix it and return it or buy the car.

They were supposed to give me down payment when they get their bonus in December 2018 but that never happened. Last year Feb they returned back to S.A, we met and reached an agreement that they should start making monthly payments or go back to Lesotho fix the car and bring it back since they left it there.

It's now March 2020 nothing has been done and I've been very patient cause this is a family friend but at this point I can no longer be lenient. We did not sign anything because I trusted the person, we had a good healthy relationship and have known them all my life.

Can I get the police involved? since the verbal rental car agreement was in 2017 and I did not press any charges, can I still be able to open a case now even though its 2years later? Is it a criminal case or civil case? How do I make sure that I get my property or be compensated for it?

Your prompt response would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

Nz Tembe

Ask your OWN Legal Question!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.