Hi, I had purchased a vehicle a 2015 and...

Asked by snoopy123 on 24-03-2020 03:18:01
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Gauteng


I had purchased a vehicle a 2015 and started the liquidation process in 2017 which was finalised in 2019. I had given the vehicle to a guy that was supposed to help me pay for it due to the fact that I could not sell it. I can no longer get a hold of the guy and I dont know where the vehicle is.

Judgment and a warrant of delivery of goods were issued in May last year. I am now being threatened with contempt of court and an arrest warrant if I don't return the vehicle. Please advise how do I proceed in this matter. I had also given the sheriff a few years ago the documents to try and find this vehicle but to no avail. 

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 26-03-2020 15:42:52

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

You can't be held in contempt of court unless you are WILLFULLY disobeying a court order. IF you don't know where the vehicle is, depose to an affidavit that sets out why you don't know, and give the affidavit to the court and the attorneys and the liquidator. 

That should then be the end of the threats.

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.