C and B are brothers. C owned a car. C b...

Asked by balletgirl1 on 07-07-2020 11:14:27
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to Eastern Cape

C and B are brothers. C owned a car. C bought a new car and gave the old car to B. No transfer of ownership took place. 

B drove the car as his own, fixed it and looked after it as his own. 

C died. And B continued to drive the car given to him. 

B died 6 months after C. 

Does C's estate have any claim for the car in B's estate? Or whats the position and rights involved in such a situation. 

Thank you.

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 10-07-2020 21:20:07

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

Yes, definitely. But B's estate might have a claim against C's estate for the work that went into the car if that work increased the value of the car. 

Remember, the car still belongs to C. He only "loaned" it to B to drive. No transfer of ownership took place. That means that C is still the registered owner of the car. 

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

Answer Accepted

This answer was accepted on 01-01-1970 02:00:00

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.