Hi, when my dad passed away almost 5 yea...

Asked by BronwynI on 19-08-2020 15:56:56
Question posted in the General Law category relating to KwaZulu-Natal

Hi, when my dad passed away almost 5 years ago I went through a rough time as I was pregnant when he passed away. I went into early labour and spent 3 days in hospital getting pumped with steroids so that that the baby could grow. Doctors said it was the stress that caused me to go into early labour. 

When I came out of hospital my mum told me that my dad did not have a will and so my dads house would go to her(my mum) and his 3 kids. She also said that she wants to sell the house and it would be hard to sell the house under so many names and asked me to sign over my share to her so.that she could sell the house under 1 name. I agreed as I didnt want to stress anymore. Worrying about myself and my baby. 

She did not sell the house, instead she left it to her daughter in her will who is not my fathers child. I feel as if I were wronged and lied to. When I asked her about it, she got angry and called my husband and I liars.

What can I do about this?

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.