To whom it may concern,We have lived in ...

Asked by Chantal on 10-09-2020 09:04:15
Question posted in the Landlord Tenant Law category relating to Eastern Cape

To whom it may concern,

We have lived in our rental for 8 years. When Lockdown happened our landlords called us to say they would be moving into a retirement village, and we need not worry about the rental. Fast forward to the end of August whereby we on our own accord find out that the landlords are planning to move back into the tenanted unit, I then inquired as to whether this was indeed the fact and they said yes, and that we will be served a two month notice period. We have not signed nor agreed to this. Likely we have purchased a property and as it is tenanted we are only able to move on 1 December, I then went to the landlords to ask for an additional month, which they have refused, things have become heated, and so I am seeking legal advice as what I have read up on in LOCKDOWN Level 2 this is not allowed unless we have a place to go to? I have two very young children, I am an essential worker and so have a job to do, and my husband suffered a salary lose during the duration of the hard lockdown levels. I know that an eviction notice can only be served by the courts and all parties need to agree and we as a family do not agree as we have nowhere to go, and no money to seek a months accommodation and storage, let alone having to move twice, which is all monies we are unable to provide. I would sincerely appreciate a way to ensure we have a roof over our head the month of November, any and all assistance in this regard is sincerely appreciated.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.