Hi. I gave someone my car on the rent to...

Asked by DikoteSidwellM on 15-09-2020 11:16:18
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Gauteng

Hi. I gave someone my car on the rent-to-buy agreement since I was moving overseas while the car is still financed. The agreement was that he'll take over the repayment of the car until the car is fully paid, then I will sign the car over to him. Then Covid-19 happened and I lost my job and had to come back to South Africa. 

The guy did not pay for the car as agreed this month, so I decided to get the car back, but now he says I must pay him all the money that he paid on the car while he was using it.

What do I do, do I agree to pay him all the money he paid?

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 18-09-2020 10:18:47

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

If you need to pay him back all of the money that he paid you, surely he must pay you "rental" for the period of time that he had your car?

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.