I found proof that my so called husband ...

Asked by Angeleye8 on 16-10-2020 23:02:00
Question posted in the Family Law category relating to Western Cape

I found proof that my so called husband are also married to another wife, with 3 kids over seas.  We have 14 years of marriage. We also have a 9year old son together. What is my rights?

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 19-10-2020 14:31:37

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

I think that the first step is you need to work out whether your marriage is valid or not! Because if he got married first to that other lady, then your marriage is invalid...

And if he was already married to you when he "married" that other lady, then that other lady's marriage is invalid. 

You can only be married to one person at a time ... unless you are getting a customary law marriage where your custom allows more than one wife. 

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.