Harry and Winnie have been married for s...

Asked by Real on 01-11-2020 19:19:01
Question posted in the Family Law category relating to Eastern Cape

Harry and Winnie have been married for seven years, out of community of property and with retention of the accrual system, the were married on the 12thof January 2012 with the Consumer Price Index being 60,40 . At the time when the marriage was concluded, Harry owned a car (R10 000). Winnie only had a few pieces of furniture (R20 000). At the time of the divorce on the 28thof July 2020 with the Consumer Price Index being 111,50. Harry owned a house (R900 000) and a car (R300 000). He also bought all the furniture in the house (valued at R80 000). He received an amount of R20 000 for pain and suffering after a car accident, and R50 000 for defamation – both these amounts are held in a savings account. Harry’s brother William still owes him R100 000. Winnie owned a flat (R450 000), a car (R150 000) and has a valuable coin collection (R50 000). She received R40 000 as an inheritance from her father that was invested on the JSE in shares. During the marriage Harry donated to Winnie R50 000 that she and her sister spent on a European holiday.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.