Hi my question is regarding a my sister ...

Asked by MahmoodD on 12-11-2020 12:18:25
Question posted in the Family Law category relating to Eastern Cape

Hi my question is regarding a my sister who had a Prem baby, the baby was in Icu but now is in a normal ward and is off all sorts of machines, the parents want to transfer the baby to a hospital closer to the home town and easier, but the Dr is refusing on the basis that he is not allowed to do so legally and that he wants to run more test and because the baby is still prem. 

Is this correct? 

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 13-11-2020 11:01:52

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

The doctor owes a duty of care to the patient, which is the baby. 

The doctor won't allow anything to be done to the baby which might harm the baby, or cause a risk to come to the baby. e.g. allowing the baby to be discharged or moved hospitals if there is a risk!

Att. Patrick

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.