I own a property in a complex which is p...

Asked by Johann on 08-12-2020 22:17:02
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Eastern Cape

I own a property in a complex which is part of a body corporate. I recieved a warning that my levies are in arrears over 90 days. If I don’t pay immediately I will be handed over and will be liable for the lawyer fees. In 2019 there was a AGM held which I could not attend. I never received any minutes of this meeting or notification that the monthly levy was increased. I also did not receive a monthly invoice or statement. So I had no idea that the levy was increased until I received an email that I will be handed over. What should I do or should I reply? We are in challenging times and money is scares. Thanks. Joe

Information Requested by Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 09-12-2020 09:11:12

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

Surely you receive a levies statement each month? Surely if you don't receive it, you will contact the BC to request it?

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.