A private person rented a storage unit b...

Asked by JoniV on 15-12-2020 13:53:23
Question posted in the Landlord Tenant Law category relating to KwaZulu-Natal

A private person rented a storage unit but did not liase with us in person, he sent someone that is doing work for him to store the goods.  They took a copy of the lease to be signed but to date the signed copy has not been received although they do have the copy.  In the interim another person doing work for the private person presented himself and requested access to the unit, he had all the information of the private person and knew that goods were stored and stated that the previous person does not do work for the owner of the goods anymore.  He then called the "owner" from his phone whilst at the premises.  A copy of his id was taken as well.  He was given access to the unit and removed the goods to the owners private residence as authorisation was received from the "owner" when he was here via his phonecall.  Now a few months down the line the actual owner comes looking for his goods, however the person that removed the goods, stayed in his private residence and was supposed to have done work for him and has now vacated the residence and all the owners goods are gone and according to the owner he paid this person as well for work not done.  The question is whethere we are liable for the stolen goods and should we report this matter to the police as fraud commited by this person? 

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.