Good dayWe are currently in an argument ...

Asked by Skyforge on 08-01-2021 06:52:13
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to Gauteng

Good day

We are currently in an argument with our landlord in regards to penalties that were issued after paying our rent late due to my company losing a lot of clients liquidating. We have been staying in this complex for 7 years and have never missed our rent once. however, we were issued with an R2000 penalty on our R5000 rent which is unacceptable, and are now being threatened with legal actions. We do not have the capital to pay this penalty as our income has decreased by at least 15%. We have requested downpayment terms but not getting a response. How can we get this issue rectified? I Should also mention that I work in the IT field and my fiance works as an accountant at a logistics company, so we both drive a lot and with the company doing very bad we cannot assign petrol salary so our petrol expenses are also coming out of our pocket. which comes to the point where we have the to either pay for petrol to get to work or pay penalties on our apartment and unable to get to work as they are not giving us any alternatives

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.