Good morning my daughter is separated fr...

Asked by Sharon on 12-01-2021 07:46:20
Question posted in the Divorce Law category relating to Western Cape

Good morning my daughter is separated from her husband and they have a daughter of 8 Yrs they are staying in a flat she earns R10.000 she has to pay school fees R 2500  and rent is R4000  and car R2500 he has both of them on medical aid now he wants to remove them from his medical.He is not paying a cent while separated my daughter is so depressed she don't know what her rights are

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 13-01-2021 11:09:05

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

Your daughter has a claim against the husband (once they are divorced) for personal maintenance and also maintenance for their child. e.g. schooling, portion of rent, food, clothing, etc. 

Your daughter should go to the Maintenance Court and ask the clerk to assist her with a divorce. 

If she can agree on the terms of the divorce with the husband, so they can get a "quick divorce", that is the best!

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.