Hello, I was involved in hit and run roa...

Asked by Thandi on 01-10-2014 22:48:05
Question posted in the General Law category relating to Gauteng


I was involved in hit and run road accident in 2009, and I got lawyers to represent me and I signed an agreement of a 25% on the capital of the settlement and 14% Vat .

I was sent to specialist for further examination in 2012 and since I was pregnant at the time some of the test could not be tested, and the lawyers adviced me they will continue with the claim for loss of future income, and after I have the baby I can go for further doctor examination for damages.

RAF made a settlement on the 14 february for Loss of income and future income, and I agreed on the settlement and I signed an offer of settlement. I went for further test in 2014 for doctor examination for damages, and I had a court date on the 25th july, however I was notified by my lawyers office that I did not need to attend the court date, and I did not. My lawyer calls me to let me know the settlement that RAF has made and I accepted on the phone, however some one from her office also calls me to tell me that there was a mix up RAF will deduct 20% as my part of the negligent but my lawyer will call me to further discuss, I have not heard from the lawyer, whenever I call the office someone tells me that she is busy and will call me, she has not called me.

I am now left with the question on how to find out the exact amount that was settled upon, and if I am I going to be charged the same rates as I was charged when the loss of future income was settled because nobody is talking to me.

Please how can you advice me, the steps I should take to clarify this matter.

Thank you in advance for your assistance

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.