I had a contract with MTN in 2018 and I ...

Asked by Moeti Qobolo on 26-10-2022 20:50:28
Question posted in the Consumer Protection Law category relating to Gauteng

I had a contract with MTN in 2018 and I completed the 24 months. They are now saying I owe them the monthly subscriptions, since I didn't write them the letter to terminate the contract. This is regardless of the fact that I stopped using their services immediately after 24 months. Now they have handed me to their dept collectors, who are threatening me to list my name. What must I do? Please help me. 

Jerry Qobolo 

Message from the Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 22-11-2022 22:34:41

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment, even if it is R150 or R200.

It is a standard term of a cellphone contract that it will continue after the initial 24 months on a month-to-month basis until you cancel it. It could, in theory, continue forever. 

This is regardless of the fact that you stopped using their services immediately after 24 months.

What must I do? --> You need to cancel the contract, and you need to pay MTN the amount claimed because, technically, you have breached their contract. 

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required deposit, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make deposits for their questions - they get serviced first!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.