Hi I'm asking on behalf of my boyfriend ...

Asked by Angelique on 21-02-2022 19:01:32
Question posted in the Landlord Tenant Law category relating to Western Cape

Hi I'm asking on behalf of my boyfriend and his mother who are renting a apartment without any contract. When they moved in the landlord never gave them a contract to sign. Their rent is behind and the landlord gave them mouthly notice to be out of the apartment by the end of the month. Today he came to switch of the electricity and is ever since then not answering his cellphone what is legally their right and what are they supposed to do with this matter

Message from the Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 20-03-2022 08:42:55

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment, even if it is R150 or R200.

They have the right not to be dispossessed of electricity by the landlord. What the landlord has done is illegal. He can't just turn the electricity off. Your boyfriend and his mother can apply to the magistrate court for an order forcing the landlord to turn the electricity back on.

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required deposit, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make deposits for their questions - they get serviced first!

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.