I am a tenant of 6 Joy Avenue Wetton. We...

Asked by Celeste on 14-01-2021 09:47:37
Question posted in the Landlord Tenant Law category relating to Western Cape

I am a tenant of 6 Joy Avenue Wetton. We have been renting for the past 3 years at this address.  We kept a good relationship with the landlord and never gave then any reason to mistrust us. We even painted the out side if the house and revarnised the doors and window frames they said they don't have money to fix anything. Now our lease is till the 31 August 2021. They messaged us late November to inform us they buding two extra dwellings in the yard of the residence we renting. I emailed them stating our concerns and telling them to give us time to find  other accommodation. They ignored us and started building this week. During this covid times we living in I fear for our lives and safety as we have no privacy on group to use no windows open. This is unacceptable to us. We have two kids and my father's to take care of. The builders are in our space all day and with no masks no sanitizing and frankly I am at a breaking point. Please could you advice to my rights as a tenant. 

Thanking you Celeste  Abrahams 

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.