Hi, My parents past away few years ago a...

Asked by JosephM on 18-01-2021 11:14:52
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to Gauteng

Hi, My parents past away few years ago and left the house/property with no will. I had since made it clear to my siblings (4) and my parents while they where still alive that I do not want the property at all. The title deed still not changed (Still under my parents name) as not everyone is willing to get this changed and the property keeps on accumulating arrears. 

I would like to know what can I do to unlink myself from this property as one of the children of the deceased and also what are the implications of the property owing to me?

I would do anything to detach or disclaim this property, please advise.

Thank you.

Joseph Modipa


Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 19-01-2021 16:18:49

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

You need to report your parent's estate at the Master's Office, and then you need to get an executor appointed who can deal with the property. Without an executor, you can't do anything...

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.