I signed my lease on 1 October a can no ...

Asked by Juanita on 20-01-2021 20:27:48
Question posted in the Landlord Tenant Law category relating to Gauteng

I signed my lease on 1 October a can no longer afford it and want to leave, I already moved some of my stuff from the cottage, I damaged the door and I've failed to inform the lessor of my decision, he said I will forfeit my deposit and I'm an abridged of contract as my lease only ends in September 2021 how much do I owe them

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 21-01-2021 11:50:02

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

Is this a residential lease? Did you enter into it in your personal name?

If so, have a look at section 14 of the Consumer Protection Act which gives you the right to terminate a lease agrement by giving 20 business days' notice to the landlord.

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.