Hi there Iam in the process of a divorce...

Asked by Anonymous on 04-02-2021 12:11:18
Question posted in the Divorce Law category relating to KwaZulu-Natal

Hi there - Iam in the process of a divorce and I must sign the settlement agreement - I have split up our assets so that my ex wife receives half - she got approximately R900 000 from a property we owned and have sold - then there was another property which my mother had given to me as my inheritance - we had always agreed that she would not touch that if we divorced - anyway to cut a long story short I have paid her R300 000 from that property sale after receiving numerous threats from her. I have left her with a considerable amount of money to carry on her life with my two girls.

How does it work with rental? And this is where I need your advice - she is currently renting - do I by law have to pay a portion of her current rental? - she is in the process of building a new house with the 1.2 million I left her - the settlement agreement says nothing of the rental portion which is R3700  monthly - if she builds a new house with the money I left her am I still liable to pay a portion considering I have left her R1.2 million - please advise. 

Also , IAM presently unemployed and the settlement she wants is very high for me - she wants R11300 month which includes R3700 rental - the settlement also states that it will go up by 10% every year -is this the norm?

I will not sign to anything until I hear what you have to say.


Anthony Colley


If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.