Good Day My fiance has been paying maint...

Asked by Annie on 09-02-2021 16:18:59
Question posted in the Family Law category relating to Gauteng

Good Day 

My fiance has been paying maintenance every month R5k, during lockdown as advised by his lawyer het only paid a % of what he got paid due to covid, he paid R3k 

Out of the blue the school phones him today the schools fees are behind by R18k and they are going to sue him and the mother 

But his maintenance amount includes school fees every month, now they tell him there's nothing he can do?

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 10-02-2021 12:22:34

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

The school is entitled to sue either of the parents for school fees, even if there is an agreement that the father will pay maintenance to the mother and the mother must actually pay the school.

It is a tough position to be in. 

Perhaps the father must settle with the school directly, and then deduct that money off the next couple of maintenance payments?

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.