Good Day. My father passed away in 2017 ...

Asked by rauzheab on 24-02-2021 09:24:39
Question posted in the Family Law category relating to Gauteng

Good Day. My father passed away in 2017 and his wife (not my mother), was selected as his executor by the Master. My mother and Father were never married. His wife basically sold all of his assets and pocketed the money without even paying his creditors. What is happening now is that my school (Public School) is chasing my mother for a school bill in total of R130 000. My mom is self employed as a taxi driver and they have threatened to reposes her vehicle. My question is, is it my moms responsibility to foot the cost of the bill even after my father passed away? My father is the one who always paid the bill and his wife did request a statement from our school after he passed away. She did however not file it with the master of the high court (he did not have a will). My siblings and I have not received a single cent from his estate but the school has placed the bill onto my mom. Is this legal and allowed? The bill is over R130 000 and she only earns R5000 a month. Please advise as we cannot afford to pay this amount.  

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 27-02-2021 20:31:30

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

I think what you need to do is to ask the school to file a complaint with the Master of the High Court because the wife didn't pay the school, as a creditor of your dad's estate. Then, you need to get the executor to pay the school!

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.