I want to get a divorce as soon as we ar...

Asked by kittykat55 on 27-02-2021 11:08:43
Question posted in the Divorce Law category relating to Limpopo

I want to get a divorce as soon as we are done with debt review, my husband is a reckless spender and I want out before he can start wasting money again, but I do have some financial concerns.  We have 2 children, one is his biological son and the other is my daughter from a previous relationship, her father has passed away and my husband has been in her life since she was 3, she is now 15. 

Would he have to pay maintenance for her as well, even though he never legally adopted her?

His current net pay is about 24 000 per month, what is a reasonable amount to request in maintenance, once the debt review process is finished there will be a window where he has no debt.  We don't own a house, we rent.

Could I request that he keep us on his medical aid?

Am I entitled to 50 % of his pension fund and how does that work, is it paid out to me once the divorce is granted, or do I have to wait until he retires and it pays out?

Thank you in advance.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.