Some time ago I received a call from FNB...

Asked by EdwinN on 13-03-2021 03:12:49
Question posted in the Insurance Law category relating to Gauteng

Some time ago I  received a call from FNB Law On Call and as a result, took a Legal Insurance with Law On Call that is owned by First National Bank. I have been paying a monthly premium for several years.

In July 2021, I had a dispute with FNB  Homeloans and requested service from Law On Call. FNB Law On Call appointed an attorney to deal with my case.

After several months of inactivity from the attorney who was appointed by Law On Call, the attorney was instructed to close the file because Law On Call cannot pursue the matter against FNB as in their opinion that would constitute a conflict of interest matter.

I lost time while waiting for the Law On Call appointed attorney to intervene in my case and as a result, my house was sold because I had no legal representation. The dispute is related to the substitution of debtor arrangements that were not concluded after my wife passed away.

1. Can Law On Call refuse to offer me the legal services that I believe I am entitled to?

2. What recourse do I have?

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.