Ny landlord shut down our water. Due to ...

Asked by Jaco Viljoen on 17-03-2021 20:48:16
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to Gauteng

Ny landlord shut down our water. Due to late payment. The landlord sold the property amd gave us 7 days to vacate the premises. We responded back with a letter to say it wont be possible. Now the water has been shut down after the letter was send. Is this legal and what can i do in this regard

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 19-03-2021 12:29:13

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

You should be aware that just because the landlord sells the property, it does NOT mean that your lease is cancelled or that you must vacate the property! You have rights as a tenant! 

You are also entitled to apply for a spoliation order at the Magistrates Court in order to get the water put back on!

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.