Good Day,The Body Corporate of the compl...

Asked by Rosebud on 25-03-2021 21:22:43
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to Gauteng

Good Day,

The Body Corporate of the complex I reside at instituted legal action against me for levy arrears. They claim that I refuse to make payment. I am employed in the aviation sector as a freelancer who has been directly affected by Covid-19. I have not been earning a salary or even close to a salary since the start of the pandemic. I've asked for a payment reprieve which I was granted but my work situation deteriorated over the past year. I did however start making small payments whenever I got some money from friends. The summons was issued on the 15.03.2021 but I only received it on the 24.03.2021. I was given 10 days to respond. From date of issue. 

Answer to the Question

Posted by Att. Patrick on 26-03-2021 19:38:16

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

You actually have 10 days to defend the summons, calculated from the date that it is served on you, and it is business days, taking into account public holidays. So it is about 2 weeks.

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on SA Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. SA Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not SA Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.