Hi thereI am in need of some advice. My ...

Asked by CandiceC on 13-05-2022 14:02:25
Question posted in the Divorce Law category relating to Western Cape

Hi there

I am in need of some advice. 

My spouse and I have been married since 2016, but together since 2012.

He recently decided that he doesn't want to go back to work because it's too stressful for him. We had conversations where I begged him to talk to me and tell me what is going on, but he never gave up anything. He then suddenly up and left to go stay by his father for a few days after claiming to have been on leave from work for roughly 4 weeks. 

He left our rental property while I was at work and refused to take my calls.

Today he claims he will be coming home but after all the lying and physical abuse, I am honestly at my wits end and want a divorce. There is nothing in this marriage worth saving anymore.

During our marriage, we managed to rack up significant debt, all on my name. Loans and Credit Cards mostly. He knows full well that without his income, on my salary alone, I can not afford to make all the debt payments, rental payment and support even myself for the coming month, let alone support both myself and him.

I am 100% sure that when I tell him that I can't continue this way and that he has left me in financial dire straights leading to me wanting a divorce, he will get physically violent and refuse to leave.

What can I do? I have seen that I can't simply change the locks and deny him access to the property but there must be something I can do without first getting beaten up?

Side note, in the past when he has been physically abusive, I never reported it. I clearly wasn't the smartest there.

Any advice you could provide will be greatly appreciated.


If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.