Good dayI have verbally given my son and...

Asked by 0738426527 on 27-01-2021 15:06:18
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to KwaZulu-Natal

Good day

I have verbally given my son and his family my main existing  house to stay permanently as he didn't have a house to live. I am residing in the same yard in the outbuilding. The entire property is still in the name of myself and my husband. My son asked me yesterday for written confirmation from us to say that the main house in which I gave him to stay is in fact his to stay long term and belong to him. My concern is that the entire main house and property belongs to my husband and myself, I don't want to sign the main house on his name fear of him chasing me and my husband out of the property as the main house is the actual house with plot number  etc. I want to give him something in writing In which it doesn't disadvantage my husband and myself . The utility accounts are also on my name but my son is paying that water and rates. Please advise.

Thank you

Mrs Sam

Message from the Lawyer

Posted by Att. Patrick on 28-01-2021 09:34:56

Hi there,

I see that you haven't made a payment for the question, but I'm going to assist you a little. If you want to ask a follow-up question, please make the required payment.

I would caution you from doing this! 

The best thing that you could do is to enter into a written month-to-month lease agreement with him for the main house, with a small amount to be paid for rental. Like R100 per month. 

That would give you the ability to cancel the lease in the future if you need to.

Att. Patrick 

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow-up questions please make the required payment, then use the REPLY button and ask your further question. I would like to continue assisting you, but I need to concentrate on people who make payments for their questions.

Message from the client

My son is refused a month to month lease in which I previously advised him to take. He has renovated my main house to.make it bigger so there was cost involved in his side which is the reason why him and his wife are presurrising me for written confirmation somehow that this main house belongs to him.

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.