Hi,Apologies for the late message. I nee...

Asked by Yolandi on 20-02-2023 23:10:35
Question posted in the Property Law category relating to Gauteng


Apologies for the late message. I need some advice please. I’m in a very difficult position. I have been in a romantic relationship for almost 9 months. Some months ago my partner suggested that me and my son move into his bigger house. Soon after we got engaged and an ante nuptial contract was signed as we were planning on getting married soon.He got a job offer in Australia and will be immigrating soon. Upon informing me of the job offer, he asked that I join him on a spousal Visa. I have been contributing more than 50% to our household on a monthly basis since living together and had to lease out my own place. A binding contract is now in place with my tenants. Recently I found out that my fiance has some addiction problems. This has had a massive impact on our relationship and he has since decided that he will be immigrating without us. I am concerned about the heartache that moving out will cause our children, as they have grown inseparable. I have also incurred a LOT of expenses to move into his house, contribute towards his bond and shared expenses such as food and electricity on a monthly basis. I will have to incur further expenses should I have to move out.He is now threatening to have me and my 9 year old son evicted. He is planning on selling his house and says since he will be in Australia, no actions can be taken against him. Is there anything I can do to prevent him from throwing us out? Please advise.Thank you. 

If you would like to view the entire answer, you will need to either login or register a FREE account.


DISCLAIMER: Advice or answers from Lawyers on South African Legal Advice are not substitutes for the proper advice of an Lawyer. South African Legal Advice is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Lawyer who assists with your question is not your Lawyer, and the response above is not to be considered to be legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains. The responses above are from individual Lawyers, not South African Legal Advice. The site and services are provided “as is”. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service.